Tuesday, September 13, 2005

They're getting it!

I love seeing things like this! I'm a big Europhile in that I love the various countries of Europe and their distinct languages and cultures. The steady drift of Europe into global irrelevance pains me. As such, I saw the above-linked article on RealClearPolitics this morning under the headline, "Europe Learns the Wrong Lessons." It's a long piece from the current issue of the American Enterprise Institute's magazine. Reading along, I saw yet another recounting of Europe's woes, its unemployment levels, its declining birthrates--all pertinent and worrying stuff, but not a whole lot new. This article simply drew parallels between all of that and the rampant anti-Americanism that pervades Europe and exacerbates the problems it has.

When I reached the last section of the article, however, my heart quickened and my eyes brightened. Someone else gets it! Check out this quote--"beneath it all, the growing divide between Europe and America is a divide between theism and atheism. This simple divide is cosmic in importance, and affects simply everything." Exactly! In light of Biblical worldview and the belief that it affects absolutely everything
in life, this is music to my ears! Europe's decline can be traced directly to the turning of its collective back to God and His laws and ideals. So few people realize that this leads to not only moral degradation but also very real practical damage to economic systems, the welfare state, family planning, etc. The fact that Karl Zinsmeister, the author of the article, and Dwight Longenecker, the Briton with the
wonderful insight into the theism/atheism divide, also see this delights me. Check out the whole article. It might hit home to you, too.

More to come...

No comments: