Friday, October 28, 2005

Back in the USSR!

Back in the USSR! We made it safe and sound to Belarus. Travel was a snap with three good flights, and passing through customs was really a breeze. The Frankfurt Airport was frustrating; there wasn't a single place with two chairs together so that we could sit down! I did see some cool airlines, though--Vietnam Airlines and QANTAS among them. Once in Belarus, Bruce went first at Passport Control. They asked the reason for his visit, who he was working with here in Belarus, and how long he planned to be in country. After that, he was waved on through, and when they realized that I was with him, they pretty much just checked my passport and cleared me. Praise God! The first hurdle cleared...

One bad news nugget, though. Somewhere between baggage claim at the airport and checking in at our hotel, I lost my cell phone. I'm thinking it was in my pocket and slipped out. You'd think I would hear it hit the floor/pavement, but I didn't. Please pray that it turns up, and that no one runs up astronomical bills on it in the mean time.

We are settled in our hotel with great views of the tributes to Communism, block after block of concrete apartment buildings. The Orbita Hotel really isn't bad at all, a bit dated and worn, but nice and clean. There's even a McDonalds a short walk away, of which we took full advantage at lunch! Not a bad way to ease into a foreign country, but, yes, the food is just as bad for you here as at home.

We're enjoying a much-needed but brief respite before a three-hour seminar tonight. Christian education is the theme, and we're excited to share our reformational view!

More to come...

No comments: