Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Airports are fun...really!

Okay, so I love airports, airplanes, and airlines. The logistical machine that is an airline or airport absolutely amazes and enthralls me. Part of my own weird preparation for this trip has been to assemble information on the airports that I will visit in transit. For the record, we'll hit Norfolk (ORF), Washington Dulles (IAD), Frankfurt, Germany (FRA), Minsk, Belarus (MSQ), Vienna, Austria (twice) (VIE), Bucharest, Romania (OTP), and Timisoara, Romania (TSR). The Frankfurt, Minsk, Bucharest, and Timisoara airports will be new to me, so that's exciting.

For those of you who share my fascination with both air travel and Pocket PCs, I have found the holy grail of software! KeyJet makes KeyFlight, an incredile piece of software. Installation is a pain in the neck (!), but once you get it, the software gives you TAF weather info by WiFi; a plethora of conversions for temperature, weights, etc.; and best of all, airport runway diagrams for thousands of airports worldwide! It is truly awesome, even integrating the CIA Factbook for maps and country descriptions, flags, etc. Here's the kicker--it's free! Check it out; you'll be impressed.

Packed my suitcase last night. Just need to throw in a few last minute items that will have to wait until Thursday morning, and I'm set. Two days to go!

More to come...

No comments: