Saturday, October 31, 2009

Peace continued…

Minsk, Belarus – Saturday, October 31, 2009, 7:32am local time

picking up from where I left off…

 

I had spent my time in preparation for my lecture on biblical economics focusing on an overview of the subject…and trying to cram 50 pounds of potatoes into a 20 pound sack.  How can I possibly cover the topic of biblical economics in short time, including translation?!  Nevertheless, I was set to talk about the ideas of God’s ownership of all, the dominion mandate, scarcity, private property, division of labor, etc.  Then, Thursday night, after the praise and prayer service, I accidentally left my notes at the church when the team went back to our hotel.  I realized it about 10:30pm.  I fretted for about a second, and then it was as if the Lord tapped me on the shoulder and said, “Why don’t you let me take this one?  Peace is not just for you.”  You can hardly imagine the relief and release that came.  The mighty hand of Providence was steering my ship of thought!

 

So, on Friday, after I was re-united with my carefully planned out notes, I figuratively threw them out and stepped before these people that I've come to love so much.  I greeted them and tried to express a little just how much being among them is a blessing and honor for me and our team.  Then, I simply tried to bring peace and encouragement.  Romans 8:19 says, “Creation eagerly awaits the revealing of God’s children.”  Can you imagine?  All those people shuffling down the sidewalks of our towns.  All those politicians from both sides of the aisle that frustrate us to exasperation.  All those Hollywood celebrities who produce the culture-shrinking drivel that passes as entertainment.  All those churches that are shriveling and dying from the spiritual dryness that has invaded them…or that they’ve embraced out of a desire to escape from the world.  All of creation is just waiting for us to reveal to them the Lord’s plan for their lives in all areas.  Economics isn’t some arcane field of science that people can’t understand or hope to grasp.  It is the every day.  How do I feed my family today?  Why do I get up early and go to work again and again?  What is the purpose of these giftings and abilities I think I have?  Why does there never seem to be enough of this resource to meet society’s needs?  That is economics and God gives believers the keys to understanding.  He also gives the ability to rise above the muck of this world when we follows His principles.  Economics is simply another way to show the love of Christ and bring peace by restoring man to right relationship with God.

 

Boy, did I learn a lot yesterday.  I wonder what today will bring!  After all, this corner of God’s creation is eagerly awaiting the revealing of God’s children.

 

More to come…

No comments: