Sunday, March 08, 2009

Not enough time to post!

Minsk, Belarus – Saturday, March 7, 2009 – 9:23pm local time

 

Our God is so good!  There is a confidence that comes from knowing that God will show up when we are called to a work and are given a platform to carry it out.  Nonetheless, it is our responsibility to prepare ourselves and be ready when that time comes.  In light of the current economic crisis, I asked for a full teaching session this time to speak just about biblical economics and the current crisis.  Bruce kindly granted that, and I began to ask the Lord what He would have me share.  It’s one thing to know your topic in an academic sense.  It’s another entirely to be able to relate it to real-life, especially to a people who are living through a terribly rough time.  Imagine if prices in the U.S. went up by 20% and salaries went down by 20% and it all happened overnight.  That’s exactly what occurred in Belarus in January when the currency was devalued by 20% on January 2.  It’s frustrating and bewildering to the people, yet, while there are a number of causes to the global crisis we’re experiencing, biblical principles still apply!  My prayer over the last month has been that the Lord would give me a specific word to bring.  I wanted to be able to make things understandable at a basic level without watering things down.  I also wanted to bring hope and not left them in despair.  I’ll admit there was a little intimidation factor at work as well as many of the seminar attendees are academics, PhDs, and students.  One is even a teacher of economics!  Leave it to the Lord to bless my socks off, though, and give me more than I ever wanted.  By the time my session rolled around this afternoon, I felt as if I was stuffing 50 pounds of potatoes into a 20 pound sack!  It all came together, and I could tell by the expressions on the faces of the seminar attendees and by the questions they asked later that things penetrated.  What a blessing!

 

We finished the evening with an enjoyable dinner and fellowship time sitting around the table at A’s house.  12 of us talked about geopolitics, Russian, Belarus and its president, history, and various other things sure to try anyone else to drink.  For me, though, it was the meat and potatoes of everything!

 

Minsk, Belarus – Sunday, March 8, 2009 – 8:52am local time

 

My last posting was interrupted by another walk outside in the snow and ice as Bruce and I unwound from the day and talked through various things.  It was a precious time of connecting about so much more than this trip.  Our friendship continues to deepen and grow, and I grateful that the Lord has placed him in my life.  We ended a wonderful day reflecting on the completed seminars, our lives, our shared needs and joys, and a unmatched time of prayer.

 

More to come.

No comments: