Friday, June 01, 2007

The evolution of faith and reason

What I Think About Evolution - New York Times Annotated

A very good article by Senator Sam Brownback addressing evolution via the intersection of faith and reason. Senator Brownback is a Catholic, so much of his philosophy mirrors the Church's teaching on the faith/reason scale. It's no less valid to me an an evangelical, though. I've excerpted a portion that especially expresses my feelings on evolution. More to come...

===
People of faith should be rational, using the gift of reason that God has given us. At the same time, reason itself cannot answer every question. Faith seeks to purify reason so that we might be able to see more clearly, not less. Faith supplements the scientific method by providing an understanding of values, meaning and purpose. More than that, faith — not science — can help us understand the breadth of human suffering or the depth of human love. Faith and science should go together, not be driven apart.

The question of evolution goes to the heart of this issue. If belief in evolution means simply assenting to microevolution, small changes over time within a species, I am happy to say, as I have in the past, that I believe it to be true. If, on the other hand, it means assenting to an exclusively materialistic, deterministic vision of the world that holds no place for a guiding intelligence, then I reject it.
===

Nicely articulated! This captures extremely well what I believe. More to come...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you... in "The Case for Christ", Lee Strobel talks about the battle between Christianity and Science... Christians lose credibility and appear ignorant when they denounce scientific discovery as being against their faith. However, within the context of our faith, we can see that science continues to unravel small secrets that only serve to deepen the marvel and the mystery of God's incredible work... in the Creation and in the workings of our world, our universe, our galaxy... I'm not sure how anyone can look at all that surrounds us and suggest that it is circumstantial.
Don