Monday, October 15, 2012

RE: IFR/Ukraine update

Good afternoon friends and family!

 

Despite my best intentions last week, I never composed an update to you on our activities in Ukraine.  Since my side trip to Oxford was important from the standpoint of planning but really only a precursor for the real work in Ukraine, I certainly want to circle back and tell of the Lord’s hand at work there as well.

 

I left Oxford recharged after a great time of fellowship and planning with Bruce, my ministry partner, and we traveled together back to London and then onward to Kiev.  We arrived in the afternoon on Monday and then got our bearings in the city.  If you’ve followed my participation in this work at all over the past many years, you’ve heard of the emphasis we place on divine appointments and providential moments.  They are often the best indicators we have of how He is guiding and directing.  It didn’t take long for us to experience just that in Kiev.  After getting settled, Bruce and I ventured out in the city on our own to find a place to eat.  The hotel staff recommended a place near to the hotel that served typical Ukrainian food, so we made our way there.  It was your typical bar and grill type restaurant with a live music stage, and it was called the ‘Gogol Ukrainian Music Pub’.  Think dark wood, Cyrillic music posters, and lots of advertisements for Guinness Ale!  The restaurant is known for their music apparently and advertised that they present “rock ‘n roll, jazz, and country” music.  We stumbled through ordering food in a mix of English and Ukrainian and sat back to relax and talk.  While we were waiting for our food, Bruce and I suddenly recognized a song over the restaurant speakers, in English, by the bank Lifehouse.  The band is comprised of Christians, but they’ve found more success in mainstream music than in Christian radio per se.  To hear them played in this restaurant was interesting but not completely unheard of, I suppose.  However, that song was followed by two more songs, again in English, by artists that are distinctly Christian and would only be played on Christian radio.  Then for the next hour, while we ate (a delicious meal, by the way), the restaurant played Christian song after Christian song by an artist that you would only hear if you listed regularly to KLOVE or other Christian radio stations back here in the US!  It was wild, encouraging, and a definite providential moment.

 

Our real purpose in Kiev was three-fold: 1) to participate in the Eastern European Leadership Forum; 2) to continue the work with our Belarusian partners (who traveled to Kiev for the Forum) in the work we’ve been doing there these past several years and plan for the future; and 3) to explore any new partnerships that might be open to us for future ministry.  The Lord was gracious, and we ticked all three items off the list.  We had a wonderful meeting with our Belarusian partners where we were able to get an update on events on the ground in Belarus and pull together some ideas for how we can continue to support them going forward.  Perhaps most significant was a mutual decision to likely steer any future teaching seminars and events to Kiev, Ukraine, rather than in Belarus itself.  Ukraine is wide open for missions and overt Christian work as opposed to the continued persecution and closed environment in Belarus.  Americans don’t need visas to enter Ukraine and IFR can operate openly.  Our Belarusian friends can come to Ukraine without trouble (generally), and we wouldn’t have to work with them secretly.  Furthermore, there is a vibrant Christian media environment in Ukraine that we could use whereas in Belarus that is not an option whatsoever.  If we do move events to Ukraine, our future visits to Belarus could simply be to encourage and fellowship with believers there and would not be in environments that would put them at risk after we leave.  This shift was a big breakthrough.

 

The Forum itself was amazing to observe.  There were 300+ people in attendance from Russian, Belarus, Ukraine, Norway, Hungary, and other areas of eastern Europe.  There were ten topical tracks with more than 100 different seminars for the participants to choose from and all were related to how Christians can transform society in every sphere from media, politics, education, apologetics, even how the church can minister to those with mental illness, and many more!  It was so encouraging to see that many people gathered together to discuss these amazing ideas that fall under the ‘Biblical worldview’ umbrella.  The keynote speaker for the conference was John Lennox, a Professor of Mathematics and Philosophy of Science at Oxford University who has debated Richard Dawkins and Peter Singer among others, so this was no second tier event.  We were honored to be invited to participate and present three seminars on Christian education, homeschooling in the Christian context, and the role of the clergy in America’s founding.  Perhaps the most fulfilling part of the Forum, though, was watching our Belarusian partners, who we’ve been teaching and pouring into for years now, act as co-organizers of the Forum and watching them actually teach these principles themselves in many of the seminars.  What a blessing!

 

We were also pleased that the Lord led us as IFR to new connections with other people as well.  We had an excellent afternoon meeting with the Rector of the Ukrainian Evangelical Theological Seminary.  The seminary is the largest in Ukraine and draws students from many area countries.  It is theologically conservative and very much focused around a reformed worldview and missions training.  Right up our alley!  We were able to hear of their vision and offer our own for these areas.  It is very likely that IFR will be able to connect with the seminary going forward and provide resources such as teaching materials and even professors who might visit and teach a week-long course at their invitation.  Again, a divine appointment!

 

As you can see, the week was immensely profitable, and the Lord has once again proved Himself faithful.  We go on these trips with a plan and objectives, but the Lord always guides and directs in ways that are so much better.  Again, I want to express my sincere appreciation for your prayers, spiritual warfare on our behalf, and financial support.  You are the reason I can go as the Lord calls, and I am forever humbled and grateful.

 

Scott

 

From: Scott B. Walter [mailto:scottbwalter@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 1:18 PM
To: 'Scott B. Walter'
Subject: IFR/Ukraine update

 

Friends and family,

 

I love to read.  I don’t have nearly the time to devote to reading that I’d like, but I really like to find a good book and dig into it.  A men’s breakfast group I belong to is currently going through Total Truth by Nancy Pearcey.  (If you’ve not read this book yet, I highly recommend it.)  The subtitle is Liberating Christianity from its Cultural Captivity, and that is both a remarkable assessment and goal.  The gist of the book is that our unbelieving culture has succeeded in separating Christianity from “truth” and pigeon-holed religious belief as distinct from rational thought.  The discussion then becomes how do we as believers embrace once more a comprehensive Biblical worldview and once more make Christianity relevant to a spiritually dying culture.  It even goes so far as to say that many of the traditional witnessing and missions strategies of the past aren’t effective anymore because many (most?) people don’t even accept that there is A Truth based upon The God of the universe, let alone see a need for personal redemption from sin.  Very compelling stuff.

 

As I was re-reading parts of the book today, I began to think about it in the context of the work in which I’ve been able to participate in Eastern Europe.  In particular, the word ‘worldview’ was swirling around in my head.  I’ve used that term innumerable times in my emails to you and conversations around this ministry.  “We teach the Biblical worldview of government, economics, education, etc.”  Today, though, I had a different thought.  A worldview is, by definition, a comprehensive way of viewing the whole of the world.  Perhaps better said, it’s an outlook on all of life.  As a culture views life, they then produce art and institutions and structures and everything that reflect that view.  That’s when I realized that perhaps my use of the word worldview was not necessarily improper but incomplete.  A worldview is not a strategy or even a set of guidelines upon which to build a society.  Instead, it is to be based on deep spiritual character and the character of our lives.  And that character comes only from spiritual growth.  So, what does the Institute for Reformation actually do then?  IFR is not, therefore, teaching government or law in Belarus or Ukraine from a Biblical perspective.  We are helping to nurture the spiritual lives of people groups in Eastern Europe who have been oppressed for decades.  We seek to do that in practical and academic ways by teaching specific subjects and how certain institutions or structures might be formed when based on Biblical truths, but our job is not to rebuild those societies.  Our job is to do whatever the Lord leads us to do in order to rebuild the spiritual lives of those people to which we’re sent.  Then, they will deepen and grow in the Lord and He will illuminate for them the principles of His Word and law that apply to the society they seek to restore.  Powerful.

 

I have good news.  My support continues to come in , and I now have a confirmed ticket for travel to Ukraine in three weeks!  It’s so exciting, and I am very grateful for your gifts of prayer on my behalf and funds in support.  As of today, I have raised more than half of what I need overall.  That’s fantastic, and God is good!  I look forward to sharing with you soon that I’ve crossed the goal line.

 

As always, you are a blessing to me and I am humbled by your support.

 

Scott

 

From: Scott B. Walter [mailto:scottbwalter@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2012 9:03 PM
To: 'Scott B. Walter'
Subject: IFR/Ukraine update

 

Hello all,

 

Over the past six weeks, the Holy Spirit has been doing remarkable things at my church.  Every Sunday has seen freshly passionate worship of the Lord, timely and penetrating words from our pastor and other congregants, and testimonies of incredible things the Spirit is doing in people’s lives.  It is remarkable and encouraging, and each week seems to get deeper and deeper!  As I also talk with other people and read various things online, there is no denying that the Lord is bringing revival and doing altogether new things all over our country and in all the nations.  Psalm 46:10 says that the Lord “will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”  How can we not then see His hand at work in all that is happening in the world today?  It is exciting!

 

I cannot wait to go to Ukraine in October and see what the Holy Spirit is doing in Eastern Europe in this year and to visit again with our beloved friends from Belarus to hear what is stirring in their churches and ministries.  Can I be candid with you, though?  For the first time in several years, I am having a very difficult time raising support to make this trip possible.  There is a peace that comes from knowing that my calling to this ministry is firm, but it’s only natural in our humanness to get a little anxious.  Would you please commit to praying with me for the necessary funds to come in?  I need about $1500 in the next few weeks, and the God who meets all of our needs will surely provide for this.  I simply would ask that you help me to pray fervently for its completion and even participate if He leads you.  Thank you so much for your continued demonstrations of love and support for me and my family.  We are blessed by you again and again.

 

Yours,

 

Scott

 

From: Scott B. Walter [mailto:scottbwalter@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:26 PM
To: 'scottbwalter@gmail.com'
Subject: Institute for Reformation update

 

Hello good friends and family,

 

One of my favorite memories of childhood is gathering around the TV with my family every four years to watch every possible second of the Olympics.  Not only did I enjoy the sports and imagine myself as an athlete, but I was always fascinated by other countries.  I imagined what life in those different lands was like and how different they must be from America and what I knew.  How exotic they all seemed!  The 2012 Olympics kick off in London tomorrow night, and I still haven’t lost that fascination with other countries and other peoples, their cultures, and the mystery of seeing new places.  As I’ve matured, however, I now can count the tremendous blessing of the Lord actually taking me to many countries and giving me an opportunity to see firsthand other peoples and cultures.  Though I always dreamed of traveling to distant places as a child, I really never thought I’d do it!

 

By now, you all know my story and the call I received from the Lord almost ten years ago to be a part of ministry in Eastern Europe (and beyond!).  My first trip was in 2004, and our little group of short-term missionaries teaching biblical worldview has now morphed into a full-fledged ministry as the non-profit Institute for Reformation.  We’ve felt the Lord leading us to concentrate on Belarus for several years now, and the fruit that is ripening there is tremendous.  After many years of planning and work with the beautiful believers in Belarus, we are now at the active planning stage for a Christian university and curriculum development.  The program will have undergraduate and graduate courses in biblical worldview studies with the goal of full accreditation in the next couple of years.  We are so excited to watch our Belarusian brothers and sisters bloom despite severe hardship and persecution.  It is a joy to partner with them in this continued walk.

 

To our great delight this year, however, the Institute for Reformation has been invited to participate in the Eastern European Leadership Forum that is to be held in Kiev, Ukraine, the second week in October.  The forum will be attended by 350 Christian leaders from Belarus, Ukraine, and throughout Eastern Europe.  As taken from their website, “The European Leadership Forum seeks to serve and equip national Christian leaders to renew the biblical church and re-evangelize Europe. The Forum’s strategy to achieve this involves identifying, uniting, mentoring, and resourcing evangelical leaders…”  It is a natural fit for our Institute’s work!  Among the speakers will be Christian leaders, pastors, and academicians from across Europe.  We are quite humbled to be invited to speak as well, and our topics will take us back to the formative days of the Institute’s work in Eastern Europe.  We will be presenting seminars and a workshop on: 1) Homeschooling; 2) Christian Education; and 3) Reformational Worldview.  Very exciting stuff!

 

We are beginning to prepare now for the trip, and there is much to be done.  Would you please partner with me in prayer for this opportunity?  My primary prayer request as always is for my family while I’m away.  They need the Lord’s Hand and protection as I travel.  I would also appreciate your prayers for financial support of two thousand dollars, logistics, spiritual insight, and the Lord’s clear direction in our preparation.

 

Before I close, I wanted to share something that struck me as I find out about the invitation to Ukraine this fall.  The last time I was in Ukraine was Election Day, 2008.  Our Ukrainian friends were so eager to know our thoughts about the election, the change in leadership in America, and what we thought about President Obama.  Isn’t it now interesting that we’ll be back in Ukraine just a few short weeks before our next election and with an opportunity to share that no matter who is elected to office and what changes our nation undergoes as a result of shifting political winds, the message of the Cross and God’s Word are timeless and our true compass for every single part of our lives!

 

Thank you for your continual love and support,

 

Scott

No comments: