Monday, November 14, 2005

Time for reflection

Unfortunately, as is often the case when one returns to real life after a vacation or trip like the one I've just completed, the piles that accumulated while I was away from home and work have left little time for reflection on what God did in the last two weeks. Until yesterday, I honestly hadn't given more than five minutes' thought at a time to my trip to Belarus and Romania. Perhaps now is the time to start.

Over the extended Veteran's Day weekend, my family and I went to Lynchburg to visit my younger brother, Christopher, and his wife, Bethany, and their little daughter, Rylee, who was born only six days before Andrew, my youngest. Also in Lynchburg is my youngest brother, Kent. We didn't have as much time with Kent but did see him a few hours around mealtimes. On Sunday, I attended their church, Brentwood, and it was during the worship time that I really began to reflect on the trip. You know the typical, "one week ago, I was..." Well, one week ago, I was in Timisoara, Romania, delivering a "sermon" at one church and participating in a wonderful worship and communion time at another. The worship there was so rich, and I found myself there thinking that this Reformation work is exactly what I am called to do. When you go to a guidance counselor in your high school or college years to plead for help in determining a career path, they usually ask you what excites you, what are you passionate about, etc. That is supposed to be the thing that you should pursue and will be the happiest in. As a Christian, it would follow that this is perhaps also the calling God has for you, and it is natural that it should be the most fulfilling. Well, that is exactly what the Reformation ministry I've been able to be involved in is for me! You know that crossroads ideal I talked about in my previous post? God used my education, work experience, and all of my strongest interests to prepare me for the calling He has, and I'm only now starting to walk in it. All of that starting hitting me at church yesterday.

Shortly after I returned from my trip, I emailed the address of this blog to the administrator at my church who booked all of the travel for this trip and handles all of the missions admin for KPC (Kempsville Presbyterian Church). She evidently passed it on to others in the office, and I received an email from a lady who has been designated the Prayer Liaison for KPC. She had been reading my posts about the trip and felt that God was giving her a word and showing her a picture for me. Her words were:

"And God has given you a "taste" of what lies ahead and stirred a new passion up within you! You will return to this country and people that you have grown to love. You will be stretched and God will begin to use you in mighty ways that you could not think or imagine..."

"For, as I write this the Lord has shown me a picture--and rather than having physical properties like a pitcher, you have become more fluid in nature and God is pouring you into a new vessel that He will use to reach new people. This vessel you are being poured into is bigger than the 'container' you once were. I hear the words of Jeremiah 29:11--I know the plans I have for you--new plans, says the Lord."

Wow! And to top it off, on the morning that I read that, I read in my quiet time Isaiah 42:1-16! Go read that passage, and you'll see how it spun me up quite a bit. It seems that God definitely has more for me to do and is beginning stretch me even more! It's the stretching that can be painful, though.

I am now facing some turmoil at work that I see as a part of that stretching, and it could be very unpleasant to resolve. I saw so many amazing and good things on my trip and things that encouraged me to return and continue the Reformation work. I came home extremely happy to have gone and fired up for more work! I remain that way despite things that have come up. I covet your prayers for a favorable outcome, for the Lord's favor, and His continued work in my life. May I stretch without breaking!

More reflections as I have time. I've only scratched the surface.

More to come...

No comments: